Thursday, March 29, 2012

Export Dlls, here one day gone the next?!?

I am a retired VB programmer and now am simply a technical report writer (supposed to be lower stress, right?).

The last date that I exported a report was 12/14 - not too long ago. However, I am now unable to export. Within our database application (SQL-server based), the export button just depresses and nothing happens. Outside the application, directly within Crystal Reports, the export button generates a message "No export DLLs found". Keep reading, it gets more interesting.

I use:
Terminal Server to access a Windows 2000 server with SP4.
CR 8.0, which is no longer supported by Business Objects.
Aptify's CGI 3.0, SP2 (this is the database application)
We have un-installed and re-installed CR so many times in the last couple days to try to resolve this - still unresolved.

The CR knowledge base has an article about TS and Citrix generating this error and the DLLs must be in the user path. I have admin rights and the DLLs are not on the server at all. (I'm very confused about that.) :confused:

I have searched for:
exportmodeller.dll
crtslv.dll
crxf_pdf.dll
crxf_wordw.dll
crxf_xls.dll
crxf_rtf.dll

All (except crtslv) are on the live server where CGI database resides - none are on the server I TS into. None are on the CR cd (I'm confused about that as well.) :ehh:
When I copied them over from one server to another and registered them, exportmodeller registered fine, but the last 4 all gave me:
"C:\WINNT\CRYSTAL\[dll_file_name].dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
DllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of C:\WINNT\CRYSTAL\[dll_file_name].dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it." (Insert the dll in the brackets)

Has anyone else encountered such a situation? Any suggestions before I tear out any more hair? Thank you in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I sincerely appreciate any help anyone can offer!
kstefanski

Although I do not follow him, he makes a good point...
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." --Alex PoulosExporting requires 2 dlls, one for the Type (pdf, Excel, etc) and one for the Destination (Application, Disk, Mapi, etc). I use CR 8.5. My dlls are located in C:\Winnt\Crystal (on a Win2k machine). For the Destination dlls, I have:

u2dapp.dll - Application
u2ddisk.dll - Disk
u2dmapi.dll - Mapi
u2dnotes.dll - Lotus Notes

Make sure you have the correct Destination dll installed.

I came across a problem where one of my client machine (which exports hundreds of pdf's each day through Crystal Reports) stopped exporting one day. I contacted Tech Support, but found no solution. Finally, I got desperate and installed one of the Monthly Hot Fixes. It worked, but I still have no idea what caused it to break to begin with (that machine had not been touched in several weeks).|||I appreciate your reply. After un-installing and re-installing so many times that I've lost count, I have the destination DLLs in C:\WINNT\Crystal and I also have the export DLLs in C:\WINNT\Crystal.

I have copied exportmodeller.dll from another machine into c:\program files\seagate software\shared

I still cannot find crtslv.dll on any machine or the cd, although many knowledge base articles say I neet it.

I still cannot export - with the same error message (No export DLLs found).

Any other suggestions?
Anyone use PView, like the error message advises me to?
Where can I get it? (Searching the server yields nothing and google gives me info about it, but not where to get it.)

Thanks in advance!
Kymberlie|||Did you try a Hot Fix like my previous post suggested?

http://support.businessobjects.com/fix/hot/mhf/crystalreports.asp|||No, I didn't, and I forgot to mention it in my reply. I am using CR 8.0 and the oldest version I can find hotfixes for is 8.5. Is it safe to apply an 8.5 fix to 8.0?

I have contacted my vendor for the database application to see if the app can support a more current version of CR and have yet to receive an answer. I will gladly upgrade if it will not inhibit the compatibility between the two. (In fact, I'd rather be current, but the app is very particular.)

Please let me know your opinion about applying 8.5 fixes to 8.0.

Thanks!
Kymberlie|||Crystal documentation on files required to support export etc is really poor. For example, it outlines file locations for files that need to be exported, but these are the locations where they should be found on a development PC, not where they have to be installed on the client.
From my point of view they should show both, and not rely on the dependency files shipped with Crystal.

Anyhow, Kymberlie, here's a file which my installation program uses to install files to their correct location on the client PC.
This should help you work out where you have to install your files to.

You'll note, for example, that ExportModeller.dll goes into NT's system32 folder (WinSysPath) on a client Pc, not \WinNT\Crystal......
File21=@.ExportModeller.dll,$(WinSysPath),$(DLLSelfRegister),$(Shared), etc etc

As far as some giving the "not registered" message, this is purely related to the DLL type - not all DLLs require registration via RegSvr32, they simply have to be present in the \System32 folder to be loaded upon demand.

Davesql

No comments:

Post a Comment