Sunday, February 26, 2012

Expand Database -- How long ??

I am running SQL 6.5 SP5a and am trying to expand my SMS
database from 195mb to 11GB.
When I run it the disks seem to be doing the work but
Enterprise manager looks like it has stopped responding.
Does this process take very long ' It is running now for
over 1hr.
ericWith 6.5, even on fairly modern disk systems, I'm thinking at least a couple
hours for that size expansion. You can get a rough estimate by looking at
perfmon disk bytes/sec and dividing ~11 Billion by that number to determine
the approximate elapsed time +/- 1000% :-)
And yes, EM will appear unresponsive.
----
The views expressed here are my own
and not of my employer.
----
"Dirc" <dirc.khan-evans@.eqos.com> wrote in message
news:OqEMt2SUDHA.1712@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yes, usually takes a lot of time... esp with 6.5
>
> "Eric" <derick@.bge.ie> wrote in message
> news:0d9c01c35119$45664b70$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> > I am running SQL 6.5 SP5a and am trying to expand my SMS
> > database from 195mb to 11GB.
> >
> > When I run it the disks seem to be doing the work but
> > Enterprise manager looks like it has stopped responding.
> > Does this process take very long ' It is running now for
> > over 1hr.
> >
> > eric
>

No comments:

Post a Comment