Sunday, February 19, 2012

Execution Snapshot - Parameter "gray out"

Hi Experts,
I got a report that takes in a parameter and run normally 20 min to produce
the result. So I decide to take advantage of Execution Snapshot feature. I
create a shared schedule and set my Execution Snapshot to execute every
morning around 1 am with default parameter. The next day I go into the report
and run it and wow it just takes second to produce the result, I'm impressed.
But I noticed something strange: the report runs using my default parameter
and the parameter box is "gray out". So I cannot run the report again using
different parameter value other than the default one.
I'm using Reporting Services Standard edition. Is this behavior normal for
this edition? Does the Enterprise edition allow me to change the parameter
once it's already scheduled for Execution Snapshot.
Any idea?
ThanhThanh,
It is normal behavior. Snapshots run for the default parameter values and
stores the intermediate report format /data in cache. When you go back to
the report, it grabs the intermediate format from cache and presents it,
preventing another trip to the database. If it allowed you to change the
parameters, it would need to re-execute the report with the new query
parameters.
If you want the parameters to be available, you need to move from using
query parameters to using report filters. There are plusses and minuses to
using report filters.
Books on line has some good info on how to use report filters.
--
Andy Potter
blog: http://sqlreportingservices.spaces.live.com/
"Thanh Nguyen" wrote:
> Hi Experts,
> I got a report that takes in a parameter and run normally 20 min to produce
> the result. So I decide to take advantage of Execution Snapshot feature. I
> create a shared schedule and set my Execution Snapshot to execute every
> morning around 1 am with default parameter. The next day I go into the report
> and run it and wow it just takes second to produce the result, I'm impressed.
> But I noticed something strange: the report runs using my default parameter
> and the parameter box is "gray out". So I cannot run the report again using
> different parameter value other than the default one.
> I'm using Reporting Services Standard edition. Is this behavior normal for
> this edition? Does the Enterprise edition allow me to change the parameter
> once it's already scheduled for Execution Snapshot.
> Any idea?
> Thanh

No comments:

Post a Comment