Sunday, February 26, 2012

ExOleDB Permissions problem as linked server

I have Exchange 2000 server and SQL Server 2000 installed on the same
box. I using the ExOLEDB data provider to set up Exchange as a linked
server in SQL Server. A public folder is queried in a stored procedure
using OpenQuery and a SQL Query against the Exchange folder.
This all works fine, as long as the user is an administrator. If a
non-admin attempts to use the stored procedure, the SQL Server returns
the error "Could not create an instance of OLE DB provider
'exoledb.DataSource.1'.". I know that it can (as I can do it as
admin), so it appears to be a permissions problem. What do I need to
set to give regular users access to this data? I've tried playing with
the permissions in ESM with no luck.
Thank you,
ErickIs the procedure using the sp_OACreate? If so non-administrators cannot use
these procedures. This is documented in Books on lIne.
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||No, the procedure is using OpenQuery. It basically does the following
SELECT * FROM OpenQuery(Exchange, 'SELECT * FROM SCOPE(''SHALLOW
TRAVERSAL OF "http://nbr-sql.nbr.lan/public/Intranet%20Calendar/"'')
WHERE NOT "urn:schemas:calendar:instancetype" = 1
AND "DAV:contentclass" = ''urn:content-classes:appointment''
ORDER BY Start desc'
)
It appears if the logged in user is a member of the Enterprise Admin
group in active directory, then it will work. However, this is not a
solution that is workable...
An odd thing is that if I add a user to the Enterprise Admin group,
and then remove them, they appear to keep the ability to run the
query. It might simply be a delay until the removal takes effect, I'm
not sure yet. But I'd like to set the permission so it's not as issue.
Thanks,
Erick
rboyd@.onlinemicrosoft.com (Rand Boyd [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<6EUAwUB7DHA.3496@.cpmsftngx
a07.phx.gbl>...
> Is the procedure using the sp_OACreate? If so non-administrators cannot us
e
> these procedures. This is documented in Books on lIne.
> Rand
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||I'm having the exact same problem with Index Server as a linked server..
any ideas?
thx,
mo
"Erick T" <joikm@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:888ecafd.0402042350.13ed45dc@.posting.google.com...
> I have Exchange 2000 server and SQL Server 2000 installed on the same
> box. I using the ExOLEDB data provider to set up Exchange as a linked
> server in SQL Server. A public folder is queried in a stored procedure
> using OpenQuery and a SQL Query against the Exchange folder.
> This all works fine, as long as the user is an administrator. If a
> non-admin attempts to use the stored procedure, the SQL Server returns
> the error "Could not create an instance of OLE DB provider
> 'exoledb.DataSource.1'.". I know that it can (as I can do it as
> admin), so it appears to be a permissions problem. What do I need to
> set to give regular users access to this data? I've tried playing with
> the permissions in ESM with no luck.
> Thank you,
> Erick

No comments:

Post a Comment